Progetto S.F.E.R.A. – Training and Educational Support for the Reception Network, is carried out by the Social Cooperative Shannara (lead partner) together with the Social Cooperative Casba and the Nova Koinè Association, thanks to the valuable contribution of the C.P.I.A. – Provincial Centre for Adult Education of Naples Province 2. Among the adhering partners we find the Campania Region, the Ombudsman for Childhood and Adolescence of the Campania Region, the Metropolitan City of Naples and the Municipality of Portici, as well as third sector bodies of Croce Rossa Naples Committee, Arcipelago della Solidarietà Association, Un’insieme di Culture Association, Senegalesi Napoli Association, Donne Somale Association, Baitul Zannat Association.
Expert trainers and native-speaker mediators are part of the project, whose aim is to strengthen and improve the services provided by the C.P.I.A Provincial Centre for Adult Education of Naples Province 2, also through the utilization of innovative training systems, on the territories of the associated offices (in the Municipalities of Castellammare di Stabia, Nola, Pomigliano D’Arco, Portici, San Giorgio a Cremano, Sorrento, Torre Annunziata and Torre del Greco).
Social Cooperative Shannara Onlus
The story of our reality begins in 1996 by the will of the founding members of the Association “Arci Utopia Ilaria”, whose main statutory goals were the promotion of child rights, the promotion of family wellbeing and community. In 1997, in a historic moment in which there were only orphanages and Institutions, the association opened the first Care Community “Utopia Ilaria” in the Campania Region for victims of intra-family violence, removed by the Decree of the Judicial Authority.
A maximum accommodation of 6 beds reserved for children between 12 to 18 years of age, individualized educational plans, a multidisciplinary team. The sensitivity of the Territorial Social Service Centers, together with the positive feedback from the Authorities, allowed the opening in 1999 of “Utopia Luana”, a second care community (for 12-18 aged children) in the Municipality of San Giorgio a Cremano. The approval of Law 149/2001, which decreed the closure of residential experiences known as “orphanages” by December 2006, strengthened the methodological approach already experienced in our paths.
This positive experience, in the same year, led to the legal transformation of the association into a Social Cooperative.
Over the years, the cooperative has expanded through the opening of a vocational training school and specializes in the management of social secretariat projects, workshops and educational projects in the territorial school institutes with the aim of preventing early school leaving and increasing skills to access the labour market.
From 2008 onwards, built-up networking and know-how acquired over time have allowed the start of a long journey in international / European design through the promotion and management of training, exchange activities, good practices exchanges, study visits, youth exchanges, both at home and abroad. All of this has allowed the enrichment of our knowledge base, enabling the professional updating of the different actors involved, through the study of good practices in the management of interventions and the reception of unaccompanied minors.
The main mission of the organization is the protection of fundamental child and youth rights, the fight against the social exclusion of people in socio-environmental disadvantages and the promotion of well-being through the activation of supporting paths aimed at achieving the personal and social autonomy.
Social Promotion Association Nova Koinè
Nova Koinè is a Social Promotion Association operating in Marigliano and in the Naples province, designing spaces and interventions aimed at creating social and cultural integration for foreigners, young and elderly people, and generally disadvantaged subjects.
Ever since its establishment in 2012, the Association has carried out many projects, which are listed below according to their thematic areas:
Linguistic and Civic Training
- Italian Language and Culture Course for Foreigners, an autonomous project carried out ever since 2011 on an annual basis. The users have been more than 250 people of different nationalities. The students are generally split up in classes and levels (beginner, intermediate and advanced) and are assisted by 8 volunteer teachers. Respecting the teachings of the Muslim culture, we offer the possibility of women-only classes. The Course is aimed at achieving a skill level of the Italian language of A1 and A2, also often including higher levels, up to C1. Ever since November 2015, Nova Koinè is a partnered office with CPIA NA2 Province in preparation courses for A2 exams and Middle School Certificates.
In 2011, Nova Koinè presented a project called “First free Italian language and culture course for Foreigners in the NA12 Context”, taking part in the Giovani Attivi Public Notice – P.O.R. Campania FSE 2007-2014, obtaining funding for 25.000 euros, properly accounted for.
- Rights and obligations of the foreigner in Italy, lessons about the Italian Constitution held by Valeria D’Antò and Domenico Di Paola with the sponsorship of the Chamber of Lawyers of Naples and the Foundation of Naples lawyers for advanced law training. The lessons have been part of the “Free Italian Language and Culture for Foreigners” project and have been carried out from September 2012 to March 2013.
Social and Intercultural Mediation
- Culture Festival “Faces and Voices of the South”. An annual food and music festival dedicated to the twinning between the culture of Naples and the ones of other Nations everywhere in the globe. The Festival reached a IV edition, held in Marigliano in July 2013, and was funded by the Municipality of Marigliano for this last year, with 3,500 euros, properly accounted for.
School, youths and second generations
- School support for second generation youngsters. The project was formed according to the needs of the students of the “FIRST FREE ITALIAN LANGUAGE AND CULTURE FOR FOREIGNERS IN THE NA12 CONTEXT”. Even though they attend our schools, foreigner children have issues in learning the language rapidly, since their families often use the language of their Country of origin. Our project was aimed at favouring an increased feedback between kids/youngsters of different cultures with school support activities, carried out in the year 2012-2013.
Social Cooperative Casba
The Social Cooperative Society Casba was founded in 2000 in Naples, and it consists of cultural mediators and social operators from different Countries (Albania, Algeria, Belarus, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Gambia, Italy, Nigeria, Poland, Senegal, Somalia, Sri Lanka, ex-Yugoslavia), mainly operative in the field of social alienation of weaker individuals, aimed at preventing and decreasing the social marginalisation between immigrant citizens and at favouring the relations and co-existence between Italian and foreign citizens.
Additionally, the Cooperative has started partnerships with Italian and foreigners operators from many immigration countries in the Campania region.
Types of services provided:
- Linguistic and intercultural mediation;
- Designing and scheduling of social, healthcare and support services for immigrant citizens;
- Research and training in the immigration field;
- Street-level interventions;
- Coaching and tutoring;
- Bureaucratic support and orientation;
- Training Activities toward Inter-culture and school support: workshops, after-school activities, recreational events, training for teachers in schools of any grade and level aimed at children, youths and adults, promoted by public bodies (Municipality, Campania Region and other bodies), from the social private sector and voluntary service;
- Counselling Centre / Help Desk;
- Awareness and informative campaigns;
- Music concerts and ethnic dances.
Casba is a member of the Social Cooperative Consortium Gesco, Legacoop Campani and Banca Popolare Etica.